Saturday 11 August 2018

What was I thinking?

Yep. Just a quick job to pull out the old liners in the starboard lower salon and replace them with new ones. Sure. Did I really believe that....?

To be fair, I have been the victim of someone else's stupidity. The lockers on the starboard side have been rebuilt to be larger in the past, and when they did it they built in under the under-deck liner, so there was no way of removing it. No wonder it had been left in the manky state it was.

Before.

Before.

So I had to cut out the existing boards, which was fairly painstaking work since I had to cut right back to the edge of the teak, preferably without damaging it. In that respect, I was not so successful. I started out using a Dremel with a spiral cutter, which worked well, but then the cutter broke and I could not find another one locally. What to do? Easy - buy a bigger tool.

Been wanting a sabre saw for a while... Good excuse.

With the sabre saw I was able to cut through quickly, but had one, ahem, slip... Now I have some varnishing to do as well.

The screws that held the liners and trim pieces were absolutely stuffed, and I could only extract about half of them. The rest I had to cut through, drill out, or cut out with a chisel. It was all a bit of demolition job. Anyway, job done, now I have to make up the new liners.



See where I slipped. Oops. Sand, varnish, repeat....

On other Jobs That Take Too Long, my fancy new double-fulcrum circlip pliers arrived, and they are a big step forward - I can "almost" get the circlip out of the furler drum. Almost. Going to have to get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment