Saturday 1 October 2016

May as well be shredding $20 notes...

I've been working away slowly on finishing off the aft cabin. The headliners are all done (except for one I wasn't happy with), now I need to sort out the teak trim, fix up the wall panel alongside the port berth where it was cut to let them run the genset exhaust through, and then paint.

I have 90% of the teak trim for the room, but a few bits are missing, a couple are knackered, and a couple no longer fit due to changes made when the starboard berth was converted to a double. All the overhead battens in the starboard state room are also missing, and there are various bits and pieces around the rest of the boat that I need to make. Woodwork time.

I purchased some slabs of Burmese teak (at NZ$8,280 per cubic metre!), and then with the generous help of Simon and David Jenkin have reproduced a pile of battens and trim pieces that match the originals.

David Jenkin is a piano maker and has the coolest workshop - I was like a kid lost in a toy-store. He generously let me use his workshop, and Kamalii veteran Simon kindly gave up his Friday evening to assist me in generating large amounts of very expensive sawdust.

1.4m x 50mm x 200mm slabs of teak. I stored them in my office so I could enjoy the smell...

Ripping up the slabs.

The huge canoe is Simon's - he's laminating new bulwarks.
Stacks of new battens and moldings, all routered to match the originals.

 
About $50 worth of sawdust, by my estimation.
Over the coming weeks I'll start cutting and fitting the trim, then take it all down again to varnish. Thanks again for your help, Simon!

No comments:

Post a Comment