Saturday 5 July 2014

Danger, Will Robinson!

Kamalii can now communicate with me. Or rather, she can spit out a panic if she starts to fill with water.

I have installed a GSM telemetry unit that I have hooked up to the existing bilge alarm system so that if any of the three bilge alarm zones (Forward, Engine, Aft) should activate then Sharon and I will get a text message telling us which alarm is going off, and also when the alarm ceases. If either of us do not acknowledge the alarm within 5 minutes it will then send a text to my father as back-up.

I should say that Kamalii's bilges are dry to the point that a fibreglass boat would be envious, but better safe than sorry (and of course I can never resist the opportunity to be a geek.)


Bilge alarm junction box (left) hooked up to isolation relays that signal the telemetry unit.

Telemetry unit.

All assembled. The extra cable glands are for cabling for a Low Battery alarm input, and for an output from the telemetry unit that will trigger the bilge alarm so I can remotely send a text message and confirm that everything is working. Will finish installing those this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment