Tuesday 17 October 2017

Something Almost Happening

All focus is on hauling out this Friday. Watching the weather forecast closely, it's up and down.

Besides that I have also managed to find time to engage in my favorite pastime - disassembling and reassembling toilet pumps. The pump bellows in the starboard head pump that I replaced about a year ago had failed. Serves me right, I bought the after-market cheapo unit instead of the proper thing. Fool me once...


Replacement for the offending item. Proper Dometic branded part this time. 

Oh how I love it in here. 

And while I'm trying not to start any big jobs before we haul, I'm doing some little ones...

Replacing worn hinges on the oven door. Had to re-glue the retaining clip on one side - like my carefully counter-balanced hold-down weights?
Here's how the new paint in the aft cabin looks. Nice job, Sharon.

And finally. When Kamalii was constructed all the interior joinery was beautifully finished, with all fastenings nicely plugged. The only trouble with that is if you need to take any of the joinery apart to get in behind then you have to pull all the teak plugs to get to the screws, buggering your varnish, and requiring you to re-plug, sand, and re-varnish. Bugger that.

Since much of the joinery was disassembled when we got the boat, I have not re-plugged the screw holes. It actually looks OK with stainless screws. However I've experimented with putting black plastic plugs into the holes to cover the screws, and I think it works OK.

Plugs in screw holes. At least it's no drama unscrewing things now. See previous photo for shot without plugs. Look better?

No comments:

Post a Comment