Sunday 23 October 2016

The Joys of Maintenance

Making good progress on the bulwark, expect after this weekend that we will be ready to sand and varnish the capping rail. Fingers crossed for another fine weekend next week.

During the work on the bulwark I found a small area of rotten wood, up towards the forward end. I dug it all out and it appears that water has been getting in under the capping rail, through a gap between the cap and the bulwark. This had previously been filled with mastik but it had failed. I have cut everything out to clean wood, dug out all the old mastik, and am now doing the repairs.

Dutchman repair before fairing - no epoxy filler here, thank you very much. Note the open seam to the right where the plank tails into the next - I have dug out loose glue and will re-fill.

I had thought about removing the winch base pad and other bronze fittings, but access to the bolts below decks is a nightmare, so have decided to strip in place. It's a shame that the bronze won't stay this colour...



It will be good to get this job done and get everything back together again so we can go sailing again (Kamalii groupies, ready yourselves, invites coming soon). But that main mast keeps glaring at me, saying "Varnish me now!". Deep breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment