Wednesday 31 August 2016

Meccano Set

Having installed a brand new washing machine I had to decide how I was going to fix it to the mounting frame. For the previous used machines I had just drilled through the frame at the base and bolted directly to the frame, which worked well. But as this is a brand new washing machine I was somewhat reluctant to just go drilling holes through the frame, and in any case the frame design of this one does not easily lend itself to that approach.

My solution was to construct a clamp system out of stainless bar. I removed the base cover from the washing machine, inserted bars across-ways and front-and-back over the frame base, and then bolted these to similar bars clamped against the underside of the mounting frame. Just tighten the whole lot up and that baby isn't going anywhere.*



* I say with reasonable confidence. However, I have attached a restraining cable to the back of the machine and bolted the other end to a hull rib - if she ever lets go at least she won't get launched across the engine room!

No comments:

Post a Comment