Sunday 6 December 2015

More Toys

The forestay is all back together. But now the Xmas madness descends, and trying to arrange to get out sailing is looking tougher and tougher to do. Oh bloody hell...

Anyway, left alone this weekend while the family does end-of-year school/sports/clubs/whatever stuff, I decided to upgrade the nav station.

When we first got Kamalii, I vowed I would not load her up with electronic toys and would keep her simple and to the basic requirements. Yeah, right. Having installed a chart-plotting system on the port side nav station a long time back, I had left the starboard side as it was: a nice array of vintage CRTs, comprising a non-functional radar, control panel for the now non-existent old autopilot, and a working chartplotter so old and primitive on more than one occasion while having drinks we fired it up and had a good laugh - a bit like breaking out an old Atari 2600 games console, and every bit as shit.

So I have ripped out all the old gear, made up a new fascia panel, and will be mounting a matching LCD display on it so that I have twin screens from my nav system. Why? Because I can. And short of turning the area into a storage locker there is not much else I can think of to do with the space.

Pulling out the old gear.
Removing old cables, adding new ones...
Take them to an antique dealer?

New fascia, two more coats to go...

This is the current port side nav station. I'm putting an identical screen on the other side, which can mirror this one or be operated completely independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment