Sunday 23 August 2015

My Kitchen Rules

Still don't have all the parts I need to reassemble the engine, so this weekend I decided to go ahead and rip out the old stove and install the new one.

Pulling out the old stove was easy enough, and it didn't take long to dissemble the cabinetry and cut things up to suit the new hob and oven, which are somewhat larger. I have kept gas hobs, but since we have two big gensets that have to be run anyway I decided to go for an electric fan oven.

Regulations require a separate 16 amp circuit for the oven, but fortunately I did not have to run any new cables. Behind the galley bulkhead was a 230V feed on its own circuit for a large deck wash pump that was never installed. This was operated by a big double-pole relay switched through the windlass control box - I think I get what they were aiming for, but not really sure why...  Anyway, I appropriated the relay and 230V circuit, and added a 24VDC switch above the hobs that engages the relay. This means the oven is now on it's own AC circuit and can be independently switched off (also required by the regs) but I didn't have to run cable and install a big double-pole AC switch in the bulkhead. I also routed the DC supply for the gas solenoid control unit through the same master switch, so now if I switch the oven it not only cuts all power to the oven and hob but also shuts off the gas supply.

I've hooked everything up and had the hobs going, but still have work to do on the woodwork and stainless bench-top. I'm hoping I'll get the bulk of it done before the end of the week, and then I can get the gas man around to sign it off so it's all nice and legal.

(And Yes, I know the stove is not gimballed. Kamalii is so stable it really is not an issue except in the heaviest weather.)


The original stove. Not the sexiest.

Stove removed.

Internal frames removed and benchtop cut to fit hob.

Cooking porridge...

One small oversight - the oven is too large to fit through the doorway into the galley. I had to strip off the outer casing and take off the fan assembly you can see on top in this photo, in order to squeeze it through.

Got it through...by the skin of its teeth.
Not done yet, but starting to look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment