Friday 2 January 2015

Chocks Aboard!

Happy new year!

In the pre-Xmas rush I had been furiously working on a set of stowage chocks for our ridiculously large tender. We've been away for a week now out at Great Barrier and I could not be happier with how they have worked out.

I reworked an old chock for a hard tender that came with the yacht for the aft end support. I then fabricated stainless stand-offs for this, and even a bunch of new recessed pad-eyes that match the existing chromed bronze ones on the boat, and these are the mount points. The idea is that I can quickly whip the whole assembly off the deck if it is not needed.

I made up the bow cradle entirely out of stainless, but re-purposed an existing teak winch mount as the base for it. The mount came from one of the four winches on the forward cabin top that used to control steel wire halyards for the spinnaker, but which are now redundant. I intend to remove them all when I re-caulk the cabin top, though may leave one in place as it did prove handy on the way down from California when our main halyard winch packed up.

Launching and stowing the tender is done with the staysail halyard, and is super-easy. Very stoked!

Tender all stowed away and locked down. There is enough room to easily get past on either side, and the outboard can be left on as well.

Aft chock, Still have to sand and varnish it up, and do some polishing of the stainless. It screws down into the deck using some padeyes I made. The turnbuckles are used to tension the tie-downs; the tender does not move at all under way.

Bow chock, On the bottom right of the picture you can see where I removed the old winch from the deck to use the excisting teak base. After years of scrubbing the deck is about 4mm higher there - will have to plane it down when I do the caulking.


No comments:

Post a Comment