Saturday 28 September 2013

Frankenplumbing

Well, the house water pump gave up. I had her serviced in California before we left, but I always suspected they didn't put the service kit in her they said they did, and sure enough the rotors are flogged out.

So, I have dropped in a triple-diaphragm pump in its place so we have running water, with the resulting temporary plumbing bomb site you see below. The thing is, I can buy three of these pumps, which combined will deliver the same water flow, and higher pressure than the old pump, for less than the cost of a service kit for the old pump! And they run way quieter as well, with the added bonus that I will have some built in redundancy in case a pump fails. So I have ordered two more and will plumb them all up in parallel using the existing water pressure switch as a master to switch them all together.

The old house pump, which is still a serious bit of kit (bronze double-displacement pump driven by 1/8HP DC motor), I'll keep and get round to servicing at some point and probably use it as a washdown pump.


No comments:

Post a Comment